How To Teach Entrepreneurship To Your Child

Photo credit: https://pixabay.com
“Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.” (Proverbs 22:6) 

I’d like to discuss on the business of motherhood in relation to growing your wealth. 

I confess that I have been following and doing my best to follow the writings of Mr. Sanchez on how he has been growing his relationship with his boys. 

In my six years of being a hands-on mother, I learned important things on how to raise up the next generation of godly leaders and entrepreneurs. 

Allow me to share it with you. 

1. Spend quality and quantity time with your children. 

I date my boys once a week. It varies from a twohour soccer game with merienda of siomai and gulaman at sago, to a one-hour breakfast over French fries and water, to a bike around the park. During these moments, I get to know their interests, fears, aspirations, and even their love language. 

This is very important most especially when they start to venture into their own fields of interests. Winning the battle of encouragement is already half-won. 

2. Teach them finances by playing board games. 

There are a lot of board games in the market (Monopoly, Cash Flow 101 for Kids, Pictionary etc.) that will harness the bond of parents and children and enhance their financial vocabulary. Through Monopoly and Cash Flow 101 for Kids, for example, at an early age, they will be able to understand and appreciate how money works. An hour a week of game play will go a long way. 

3. Sell and save something. 

Last October, my eldest son, requested to have the complete set of Ninjago (it is a cartoon series of ninjas made from Lego). Instead of giving to his request, I asked him to open his own business to raise funds to purchase his collection. His idea was a home-based massage service. I assisted him in making the marketing paraphernalia (most of which were hand written). We made a list of prospective clients, and in no time he was off servicing clients while I handled his savings. Weeks before Christmas, he was already having a blast playing with his new toys. 

4. Buy insurance. 

This is more for us, dear parents. We can never say until when our children will be able to enjoy our presence. I have a number of friends who went home to our Father, and sad to say, they did not prepare for their demise, leaving their families lost because they do not know where to start. My dear friends, they will live after we leave. I believe that a good policy is a loving gift we can give our families. In addition, there are a lot of products in the market, known as Variable-Unit-Linked products which act as protection and savings as well; an additional portfolio that will put money in our pockets in time. Please ask your personal insurance agent about it.

5. Teach them about our faith. 

Mothers, let’s face it. Talking about God is not normal for us. We would rather talk about the latest news about politics, sports, cars, gadgets, and women. But anything about our faith, we leave it to our spouse. 

I feel it is our responsibility to train them to be amazing dads or moms by being examples of faith. ... when life’s challenges arise, we hold on to God. ... when finances are low, we thank God for the opportunity and ask for His guidance. ... when our plate is bountiful, we share our blessings to our God and His church. 

At the end of the day, we can only supply them the best love, advice and education we can afford. When all is said and done, we surrender their lives to the hands of our Creator. 

It is the best gift we can give to the next generation... the unwavering faith, and love to a God who loves us unconditionally.


Write a Comment

KEEP UPDATED BY SUBSCRIBING TO US

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner