
“And now we’re starting over again. It’s not the easiest thing to do. I’m feeling inside again. Cause every time I look at you…” And so the song goes….
Making plans for the new year has always been a challenge for me because I get to see the things I have done and the things I didn’t for the year: like losing 20 pounds, finishing a 21-kilometer run, learning archery, and growing my hairline (the latter part is somewhat improbable unless I enroll in a hair-growing treatment which I opted not to).
The beauty behind new beginnings are the moments of grace to have a fresh start, a clean slate like losing 20 pounds, finishing a 21-km run, learning archery, and loving the idea that I have a receding hairline (Voila! There is improvement!).
How about working on your life and finances? Allow me to give you some steps on how to have a year full of breakthroughs.
1. Get a good journal and count your blessings before you sleep.
I love writing (obviously). However, the more I hone my skills, the more I realize there is so much power that the pen and paper (in this case the keyboard and the screen) can do for an individual. Before you doze off, write down 10 things you are grateful for. This enables you to look forward to a great day ahead of you. Gratitude opens up so many new possibilities that God has given you.
2. Plan ahead.
After writing your 10 “thank you,” write down the five things you will bless and accomplish the following day. You are using the law of focus that will empower you even if you are already in dream land. Making you a recipient of phenomenal miracles, this is what you call expectant faith.
3. Get a good financial planner/adviser.
I mean it! Get a professional financial planner! Best, hire one. What do I mean by this? As we work on our targets, there will be expenses, some of which are uncontrollable ones. Get someone whom you can call in the middle of the night when you hit the jackpot, or when you are sad and broken-hearted, or somewhere in the middle, to keep your feet on the ground and guide you to make the wisest decision.
To know a good financial planner, first, ask them what is their favorite stock? What is the yearon-year, or week-on-week, performance of that stock they own? What were the challenges the company went through? If they can respond well, buy the stock he/she owns. Same with insurance policies, but be careful with their “sales pitch” because a good financial adviser will recommend other companies if they do not have the service you need.
4. Sweat it out.
Work on your plans. This is where the challenge happens. “You will be in the court.” And when you are “playing full,” there will be breakdowns, stops and challenges. It is easy to throw in the towel (I know. I have quit on so many things in life. The great thing is, our God is a God of second, third, fourth and fifth chances). It is for us to go back to the journal to be reminded of the miracles we have received every day.
As a closing, let me share a learning I received from the book, ABNKKBSNPL Ko by Bob Ong: “Ang buhay ay parang essay na lapis ang panulat. Para burahin ang mga mali at itama ang mga naisulat na mali” (Life is like a an essay written using pencils. To erase the mistakes and to correct them).
Have a blessed New Year, everyone!
Write a Comment