What Educational System Didn't Taught Us

Photo credit: https://pixabay.com
March has arrived. 

March, the month where we have new additional talents that will empower our growing Philippine economy. Dreams fulfilled for parents who worked very hard for their children to receive the much coveted toga and diploma. 

March. I love the sights and sounds of commencement exercises. I remember that moment of awe and gratitude… seeing myself as a graduate more than a decade ago. 

However, behind the smiles and cheers, I have my frustrations and sentiments that I wish the educational system was able to imbue and these are the following: 

1. I wish we were taught that grades do not determine our future success. 

Magpakatotoo tayo! (Let us be honest). We dread seeing 4s or 5s on our collegiate card (unless you are studying at the Ateneo or Miriam College… this will mean the other way around). It may mean either repeating the subject, a loss of a scholarship grant or expulsion from the institution. We will work long and hard to achieve our mentor’s approval. 

There is nothing wrong with having goals. It is a must! Plus, the academe is a great avenue to learn the value of discipline, focus, priorities, and hard work. However, during the chase of getting our “aces,” we sometimes miss the values that are essential when we are outside the alma mater, like building your network through school organizations, volunteering for causes that enhance our talents, and building one’s practical knowledge and confidence like speaking in public, negotiating and budgeting. Bottom line… character matters more than your scholastic records. 

2. I wish we were taught how to “serve” more. 

As an entrepreneur, I believe profit comes when my partners truly experience my authentic love. I personally believe that the purpose of opening new businesses is to serve the needs of the people we genuinely care for. Service is the key to make lasting relationships that allow our businesses to go beyond space and time. 

3. I wish we were taught how to open a bank account and where to invest our money. 

Again, let us be authentic. During my generation, a huge number of Filipinos graduated college without learning how to open a Savings Account in a local bank. We were taught how to answer Algebraic equations (without understanding the practical reason for learning such mathematical headache… Ooopppsss, issues coming out), memorize the Periodic table (without answering the why’s of it… more issues coming out) and remember amazing names during World History (by just showing pictures) and yet the important ones like understanding how money works, investing money and even opening a bank account were not properly taught. 

We were taught to be employees, serving bosses, and believing that we can retire “rich” because of the package a company will offer us when we reach 60 years of age. (This is one possible reason why a lot of Filipinos experience scams because we were not taught how money works). 

I cannot blame our educators. 

Most of them are not even aware of these things as well. 

Sad. This being said, the challenge is now with us, parents and adults with young children, to educate our young ones on things that matter

… … Like honesty and communication, by bringing our young children to sit with us on our businesses meetings

. … Like investments, by bringing them to “field trips” to the bank and even the Philippine Stock Exchange.

 … and most especially, faith, by being examples that in times of triumph and challenges, we call and journey with our God today, every day, and every moment.


Write a Comment

KEEP UPDATED BY SUBSCRIBING TO US

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner